Photonics R&D Investment
- Our R&D teams have market-leading skills in photonic technologies and system integration.
- Our customers recognise this and we maintain collaborative relationships with OEM customers.
- We work side by side with our customers to help design their next generation systems.
- This close working relationship allows us to identify opportunities to support our customers in existing and adjacent markets.
- We maintain technology roadmaps that pivot between our Enabling Technologies and markets.
- Our roadmaps focus on high-growth areas where we see clear customer demand enabling us to optimise returns from our photonics R&D investment.
- In FY 2021, we spent £7.9m on R&D.
- In the same year, revenue from new products grew to £18.1M with 48 new products released to the market.
- Acousto-optics: New materials and devices for micro/macro-machining.
- Electro-optics: New materials to access more wavelengths and applications, such as heat signature tracking, autonomous vehicles.
- Fibre optics: Co-integration of photonics/electronics, miniaturising fibre optics for A&D, new devices for OCT.
- Optical Systems: Multi-band and single aperture systems for turrets and vehicles, low SWAP and highler level assemblies
- Precision optics: Continue expanding our capabilities with large windows, new materials and coatings.
- Life sciences: Advanced user interface and app development, AI, machine learning, cyber security of patient data.
- Components and modules for new generation extreme ultra-violet (EUV) lithography lasers used for nano electronics.
- Market-leading acousto-optic modulators for lasers used in semiconductor manufacturing and metrology.
- Fiber-optic sub-systems used in wind farms and infrastructure asset protection.
- Infrared integrated optical systems for UAV imaging and communication systems.
- New sighting systems for armoured vehicles with multi-band capabilities such as thermal overlay.
- Laser-based satellite links and constellations
- OCT technologies used in cancer and cardiovascular disease detection
If you have any questions regarding our photonics R&D investments, please don't hesitate to contact us.