At G&H Keene (formerly known as StingRay Optics), we develop advanced and complex optical systems for global defense and military sectors, Homeland Security, Search and Rescue, surveillance and commercial applications. These systems span the optical spectrum of ultra violet, visible, and infrared wavelengths. G&H Keene is a fast paced design environment for prototype and production volumes.
The position referenced above is a full time position assuming a forty (40) hour work week to be performed at G&H’s Keene office located at 17A Bradco St Keene NH 03431. It is considered an exempt position and not eligible for overtime. The Applications Engineer will report to the site’s Product Manager.
Please note that while we have attempted to describe all of the responsibilities that might be expected of an individual assuming the position of Applications Engineer, additional duties not yet realized may be required.
As a G&H employee, professionalism, technical expertise, thoughtfulness and courtesy are expected during any and all customer interactions. In these instances, the employee’s primary responsibility is to meet or exceed the customer’s expectations.
Developing, supporting and maintaining relationships with end-users and integrators for standard and custom optical systems are the critical requirements of the Application Engineer at G&H Keene. The Application Engineer will interface directly with G&H’s network of outside Sales and Business Development professionals supported locally by some of the industry’s brightest individuals covering a breadth of disciplines including optical design, opto-mechanical engineering, optical assemblers, and technicians.
Daily activities for an Applications Engineer will be split between two primary responsibilities:
- Responding to general inquiries via inbound call and email seeking information on our company, products, and services.
- Managing a caseload of technical projects to ensure customer milestones and deliverables are being tracked and closed effectively.
The act of carrying out these responsibilities requires the individual to be able to:
- Communicate effectively and professionally in oral and written formats.
- Verify the project/opportunity/requirement to be a good fit for the group’s current capabilities, capacity, and profit margins/targets.
- Leverage historical data to provide preliminary cost/schedule/feasibility estimates to customers.
- Secure the necessary specification/application details such that a suitable standard or custom optical solution can be conceptualized.
- Work as liaison between the customer, and the technical/commercial teams at G&H to define a mutually agreed upon set of specifications in response to a requirement that clearly communicates compliance/clarification/exception as needed to customer stated requirements.
- Process price quotes and proposals for standard products, pre-engineered systems, or custom solutions that were deemed a good match for the project based upon the efforts described above.
- Perform follow up calls, emails, or face-to-face meetings with interested parties that could result in potential sales opportunities for G&H Keene’s products & services.
- Work with engineering, order entry, accounting and shipping to process any resulting orders per customers’ expectations.
- Work with G&H production and administrative teams to understand project schedules and provide updates to customers as required.
- Follow up with customers that ordered G&H products to determine satisfaction with product received, customer service, and to inquire about the possibility for new orders.
Essential skills required to be successful in the position include the ability to prioritize workload in a manner that realizes the most immediate/strategic benefit while also addressing customer requirements and schedules, prompt and informative responses to customer inquiries, strong product and capability knowledge and expertise, familiarity with commercial camera offerings and their compatibility with our products. The successful candidate should have a good understanding of optics and optical systems but does not necessarily need to possess all of the technical knowledge on G&H’s products & services at the time of hire. The candidate must respond positively to on-job training and constructive performance feedback from supervisors and colleagues.
- Provide G&H product information to customers in both oral and written form.
- Prepare proposals in response to customer requests.
- Become the conduit that accurately transmits customers’ technical & commercial requirements to StingRay’s optical design, engineering, & sales management to maximize the chance of capturing each opportunity.
- Coordinate internal gate reviews where required.
- Input on workload prioritization and project scheduling to help assist engineering and program managers to meet our customer’s deadlines.
- Manage customer orders for custom products from design stage through delivery.
- Establish and maintain processes to effectively achieve the goals defined above.
- Assist with incoming calls & website requests for information or support on G&H Products & Services
- Schedule, plan, and host customer visits to G&H facilities.
- Set objectives for professional development and establish a means for tracking progress against those goals.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- A Bachelor degree in physics or an engineering discipline.
- Minimum 2 years of professional work experience in sales engineering.
- Project Management experience.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite, including MS Project
- Strong mathematics.
- Willingness to travel to customer facilities & industry tradeshows.
- Enthusiasm to learn something new every day.
The responsibilities of this position will involve having access to items and technical data that may be controlled under U.S. export laws and regulations ("U.S. Export Control Laws"), including but not limited to the Export Administration Regulations ("EAR") and the International Traffic in Arms Regulations ("ITAR"). In order to comply with the U.S. Export Control Laws, and in conjunction with the review of candidates for those positions within G&H that may present access to export-controlled technical data, G&H must assess whether candidates are "U.S. persons" as defined under the EAR (15 C.F.R. Part 772) and the ITAR (22 C.F.R. § 120.15). Certain questions asked during the application process are intended to assess this and will be used for evaluation purposes only. Failure to provide the necessary information in this regard will result in our inability to consider you further for this particular position.
The Company is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and applicants for employment. The Company does not discriminate in employment opportunity or practices on the grounds of gender, race, religion or belief, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by national laws under which the Company operates.
The Company fully supports the well-being of our employees.