Optical Glass Grinder-Polisher
G&H offer exciting and rewarding opportunities for motivated and talented people to join a team of like-minded, highly skilled colleagues who want to grow and succeed with our company.
Hiring talent to complement and grow our current teams’ skills and capabilities is a strategic priority to enable our plans for growth.
Our five business locations in the United States and four UK-based businesses employ across a broad range of functions including engineering and process, manufacturing, product management, supply chain and customer services, quality assurance, continuous improvement, compliance and finance.
To set up machinery, processes or equipment to enable the safe manufacture of optics throughout the production process.
To follow written procedures to ensure the best methods and equipment are used at any given time.
Take responsibility of department/cell quality, output, safety and improvement targets.
- Adherence to all Company policies, management systems and standard operational procedures, including legal responsibilities in relation to Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality
- Working positively to develop and foster good working relationships with colleagues and contracted personnel in order to maintain a culture of mutual respect and dignity
- Promote and display the Gooch & Housego Core Values
- Cleaning and sorting of abrasive powders.
- Preparation of sticker and polishing tars.
- Preparation of polishing and grinding tools.
- Glass processing, i.e.grinding,polishing,chamfering, working with Crystalline and Non Crystalline
- Manual polishing on multi-spindle machines.
- Working to both ISO and MIL standards
- Centering 'alignment' of lenses, gluing optical elements with different centricities.
- Alignment and mounting of abrasive discs.
- Working with a variety of exotic materials.
- Starting grinding/Polishing machines, adjusting the speed of machine to enhance finish.
- Making precision optical lenses/components
- Grinding and polishing of edges of products.
- Quality control of manufactured optical elements.
- Using measuring tools, such as: microscope, protractor, micrometer, magnifier, collimator, interference test.
- Working to tight tolerances i.e. +/- 0.005 microns down to Nanometres.
- Maintenance and minor repairs of tools, equipment and machines for glass processing.
- Maintain all production documentation as per the relevant procedures such as route cards, time sheets, traceable data logs and any other department related documents.
- Ensure MRP transactions are correct and completed in a timely manner.
- Operate/ use machinery and tools safely and correctly, reporting any concerns to your line manager.
- Adherence to production processes and procedures at all times.
- Provide feedback on production output to your line manager and support with corrective action if required.
- Ensure you are working and maintaining quality standards as per BS9100.
- Adhere to all company policies and procedures as per the company handbook.
- Contribute to continuous improvement activities.
- Planned activity adherence
- Time keeping
- Timely delivery of Company products
- Completion of new product development pathways
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Result orientated
- Positive can do attitude
- Punctual and adaptable
- Ability to work as part of a larger team or on own initiative
- Flexible approach to working and shift patterns
- Willingness to learn and develop skills
- Attention to detail
- Methodical approach
- Ability to work in a fast pace environment and to meet deadlines
Skills / Abilities
- GCSE or equivalent qualifications in English, Maths and Science
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- Knowledge of similar manufacturing industry desirable (not essential)
- Knowledge of manual handling
- Strong organisational skills
How to Apply
Please send your resume to G&H Ilminster following the link to the left