Production Technician IV - Bedford MA
Scope of the role:
As part of the Production team, the Production Technician IV is responsible for optical, mechanical and electronic assembly, testing, maintenance and packaging of laser products. This role is directly involved in the operation of machinery and test equipment, and hands-on production of high-performance, laser/electro-optical products. You will proficiently perform a variety of complex tasks under the general guidance and in accordance with the manufacturing procedures.
- Performs production assembly and testing of complex fiber optic products, primarily lasers.
- Tests infrared and visible optical assemblies in accordance with specifications, drawings, procedures and work instructions.
- Assists in training Operator and Production Technician personnel to established standards.
- Approved to work directly with customers developing or demonstrating new processes without Mfg Engineering participation.
- Willingness to fill capacity gaps for Operators and Technicians during vacations and other capacity shortages.
- Generates acceptance test reports and related deliverables to internal and external customers.
- Maintains quality of manufactured parts by performing all required measurement/inspection activities.
- Maintains operational status of equipment by monitoring condition of machines and reporting any needed repairs.
- Maintains a safe and organized work area by observing all safety policies and procedures and maintaining area as needed.
- Will follow written, controlled work instructions and drawings to perform the tasks required.
- Adhere to and follow all ESD and Clean room protocols when handling product.
- Assist engineering in the improvement of existing processes.
- Troubleshoot and resolve process related issues.
- Initiate and document minor deviations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
SPECIALIST FUNCTIONAL KNOWLEDGE
- Microelectronic assembly
- Test equipment, instrumentation, tools
- IPC soldering skills
- Knowledge and understanding of Lean Manufacturing & Continual Improvement strategy
- Machine operation
- Skills and experience working with microscopes
- Ability to multitask
- Communication skills
- Problem Solving
- Expert level proficiency in manual die attach operations, manual wire bonding processes, soldering of electronics; certification is preferred.
- High level of attention to detail and eye for quality is critical.
- Must be able to work independently and follow directions/procedures precisely.
- Good communication skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office products with general computer proficiency required.
- Knowledge of SPC, WIP tracking and other production systems preferred.
- Familiarity with optical test lab safety practices is preferred.
- Familiarity with ISO 9000/9001 and AS9100 processes and procedures is preferred.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Experience with Lean Manufacturing and 6S Techniques.
- Extensive experience working with delicate microelectronic assemblies and fiber optics in a clean room based, manufacturing environment.
G&H is an equal opportunity employer and, as such, affirms in policy and practice to recruit, hire, train, and promote, in all job classifications, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic. G&H will not discriminate against persons because of their disability, including disabled veterans, and will make reasonable accommodations for known physical or mental limitations of qualified employees and applicants with disabilities.
- 7 Oak Park Drive, Bedford MA 01730
- In-person, M-F
About G&H (Gooch & Housego):
LEADING PHOTONICS TECHNOLOGY
G&H’s advanced optical engineering and manufacturing enables effective OEM system supply and development.
Our expertise in optical systems, subsystems and components extends from research through the development of prototypes to volume manufacturing and is a catalyst for innovation and effective manufacturing in the aerospace and defense, industrial and telecom, and life sciences and biophotonics sectors.
From eleven sites across the UK, USA and Asia, our capabilities span a uniquely broad range of photonic technologies: crystal growth, optical materials processing, acousto-optics and electro-optics, active and passive fiber optic components, precision optics, opto-mechanical and medical systems.