Senior/Lead Optical Design Engineer
G&H offer exciting and rewarding opportunities for motivated and talented people to join a team of like-minded, highly skilled colleagues who want to grow and succeed with our company.
Hiring talent to complement and grow our current teams’ skills and capabilities is a strategic priority to enable our plans for growth.
Our seven business locations in the United States and four UK-based businesses employ across a broad range of functions including engineering and process, manufacturing, product management, supply chain and customer services, quality assurance, continuous improvement, compliance and finance.
We are looking for a Senior Optical Design Engineer & team leader with a diverse skill set to join our Fibre Optic R&D team based in Torquay. As part of a global R&D team, you will have the opportunity to work on the development of a range of products including fibre optic components, high power optical amplifiers and optical transmitter sub-systems, with applications across multiple markets. The job will involve a range of tasks related to the design, prototype assembly and test of fibre-optic and photonic based sub-systems. Experience in one of the following areas would be a definite advantage: High power fibre optic amplifiers or lasers, Photonic integrated circuit design and/or characterisation.
This position requires a broad knowledge base in optics, photonics and related technologies. You should be capable of operating under your own steam – a self-starter, able to progress projects and trouble-shoot problems with little supervision. The role offers a wide variety of activity, from technical involvement in initial product concepts, hardware development, team management and customer interaction. If you are looking for a challenging role where you will have a major input to world leading, innovative products that are marketed worldwide, this could be the job for you!
- Design and develop optical and fibre-optic components, modules and sub-systems.
- Exploit G&H fibre optic and opto-electronic components to develop cutting edge products, working within a multidisciplinary team that includes mechanical and electronic design engineers.
- Management of a small team of technical engineers.
- Active involvement in prototype build & test
- Present results clearly and concisely for both internal and external customers
- Develop strong working links with technical and business experts across G&H.
- Project management opportunities – plan and manage budgets on key projects
Travel expected to be <5% of the time.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
Specialist Functional Knowledge
- Knowledge and experience in fibre-optics, photonics and general optics
- Hands-on experience in design, construction and test of fibre-optic components, systems or opto-electronic modules.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, able to engage customers technically and collaboratively. Comfortable creating and giving technical presentations.
- Essential: Degree in Engineering or Physics
- Desired: PhD in a relevant field
The following is not essential but would be a definite advantage:
- Knowledge & experience in one or more of: high power fibre lasers/fibre amplifiers, non-linear optics, Photonic Integrated Circuits, Acousto-optics
- Experience in design and development of fibre-optic and free-space transmission systems (analogue, digital, coherent)
- Ability to generate proposals and manage the financial and technical aspects of development projects
- Experience leading or managing a team of technical engineers
How to Apply
Please send your resume to G&H Torquay using the form below.