Optical Systems Engineer
Optical Systems Engineer
G&H Torquay, Optics and Fibre Optics
Competitive Salary on offer DOE
Do you have industrial experience the Optics / Photonics industry?
Are you looking for a challenging role where you will have a major input to world leading, innovative products that are marketed worldwide?
Would you like to work on a brand new global project at a state of the art manufacturing facility?
This could be the role for you!
We are looking for a Optical Systems Engineer with a diverse skill set to join our Optics and Fibre Optic R&D team in the Fibre-Optic Manufacturing centre based in Torquay. As part of a global R&D team, you will be leading the development of a range of products focused on fibre optic amplifier sub-systems for free space optical communications, aerospace and remote sensing applications. The job will involve a range of tasks related to the design, prototype assembly and test of fibre-optic and photonics based components and sub-systems, typically covering TRL4 to TRL7.
This position requires the individual to have a well-rounded background with a broad knowledge base in fibre-optics, photonics and related technologies. Although you will be working as part of a team, you should be capable of working under your own steam – a self-starter, able to progress & lead on projects and trouble-shoot problems. The role offers a wide variety of activity, from technical involvement in initial product concepts, hardware development, customer interaction and leadership responsibilities.
- Provide technical leadership in the design and development of high power fibre-optic amplifier subsystems and their components
- Ensure projects and programmes meet deadlines, milestones and are within budget
- Work within a multidisciplinary team that includes optical, mechanical and electronic design engineers
- Active involvement and management of prototype build & assembly – including fibre-optic splicing, mechanical / electrical assembly and opto-electronic test
- Develop and execute on test plans for functional and environmental verification of photonic components and systems, verify compliance to target specifications
- Customer interaction – Engage with customers, negotiate specifications and present results clearly and concisely for both internal and external customers
- Develop strong working links with technical and business experts across G&H
- Deliver technical reviews and produce management reports resulting from technical activities
Ideal candidates will have the following:
- 3+ years relevant experience within the optics/photonics industry with knowledge of optical amplifiers
- Commercial experience in the product development of fibre optics or laser products
- Hands-on experience building and testing fibre-optic components or opto-electronic modules
- Ability to generate proposals and manage the financial and technical aspects of development projects
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; able to engage customers technically and collaboratively; Comfortable creating and giving technical presentations
- Degree or PhD in Engineering or Physics with Optics, Photonics or Fibre optics bias
As well as a competitive salary and training, company benefits include:
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Company pension pays 6%
- Company bonus scheme
- Health Cash Plan
- SAYE Scheme
- Bonus for friend referral scheme (T’s and C’s apply)