Sr. Optical Systems Engineer
The Sr. Optical System Engineer is key role for expanding our footprint for our OEM photonics enabled medical devices within the USA. The Sr Optical System Engineer is an integral part of our dynamic customer facing team that develops customer proposal, and brings in new profitable projects/business. The team typically made up by a Proposals Manager/ BD Manager/Project Manager and a Sr. System Engineer and a Sr Optical System Engineer. This role requires understanding the need of Life Sciences customers and converting their need to cost effective system solutions.
- Develop and maintain sustainable relationships with customers to sell our capabilities and know-how
- Conceptualize and finesse optical solutions as a result of customer engagement activities.
- Apply optics concepts to customer requirements
- Review customer opportunities and propose cost effective optical solutions.
- Converting customer requirement /need / vision into optical design specification
- Development of the optical portion of the SOW
- Negotiate /explain optical specifications with the customer and explain tradeoffs.
- Presenting optical system design, analysis and test results to the customer and internal leadership team
- Develop system layout for optical instruments.
- Develop optical instruments concepts, assemblies and subsystems using optical and engineering design tools such as Zemax.
- Collaborating with electrical, mechanical and software engineers to understand the overall system requirements and specifications.
- Stay current with G&H capabilities.
- Stay current with optical manufacturing technology forefront.
- Present at conferences and seminars to promote G&H and its value proposition.
- Quote optics design work
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
- MSc or PhD in Optical Engineering or related field
- >5-year experience in optical system engineering
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Familiar with optical manufacturing processes.
- Fully proficient in the ISO 9001/ISO 13485 framework
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills
Due to US export control laws, must be a US citizen, permanent resident or have protected status.
Location & travel
This position will be based in Rochester, NY and will incorporate a hybrid work arrangement model
30% travel expected.
G&H is an equal opportunity employer and, as such, affirms in policy and practice to recruit, hire, train, and promote, in all job classifications, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic. G&H will not discriminate against persons because of their disability, including disabled veterans, and will make reasonable accommodations for known physical or mental limitations of qualified employees and applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying and require special assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please contact our Human Resources department at 585-295-0215.
The responsibilities of this position will involve having access to items and technical data that may be controlled under U.S. export laws and regulations (“U.S. Export Control Laws”), including but not limited to the Export Administration Regulations (“EAR”) and the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (“ITAR”). In order to comply with the U.S. Export Control Laws, and in conjunction with the review of candidates for those positions within G&H that may present access to export-controlled technical data, G&H must assess whether candidates are “U.S. persons” as defined under the EAR (15 C.F.R. Part 772) and the ITAR (22 C.F.R. § 120.15). Certain questions asked during the application process are intended to assess this and will be used for evaluation purposes only.